Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Portuguese Tart - Business Trips




"Business trips"...the mere mention of it by friends always got me looking like Kermit the Frog (read: green with envy!).

Sometimes it was almost unbelievable hearing them COMPLAINING bout it...but hey, they ve achieved "frequent flyer" status...and me, just watching from the ground, planes taking off and landing!


I guess all that is gonna change soon!

What started as a personal review with my boss to discuss work and also future plans resulted in the nicest surprise ever!

Now for those not in the know, apparently my boss has this reputation amongst the trainee community for being quite a character! When i begun my traineeship i ve got numerous "congratulatory remarks" along the lines of...

"So you re the MBA Coordinator...good luck with your boss!"

"Oh your boss is so and so right...i heard so many things bout her..."


Well those were all nothing if you wanna compare to the fact that there is a little subtopic of "how to handle your boss" in my transition file!

All in all...her previous interns were all ladies, but i guess some (sexy...hahaha!) hormonal balance in the team in the form of me and Segala brought a little harmony to her! So i must say, we ve never seen her blow her top yet...but we did have a teaser here and there! And for me professionaly, having worked with 4 different lady bosses (i prefer them to men), one a highly successful career woman and wife, one a divorcee with a daughter, one that was your typical average ladylike mother of two boss...and now the current one being in the category of 'career first, steadfast, early 40s and single', its somehow a different ball game. But both me and Segala agree, its really good professionally working under her, we just need to anticipate when and how to handle her numerous moods!



So it wasnt long when i read the synopsis of the book "The Devil Wears Prada",
of which i havent watch the movie yet...but the first person that came to mind was none other than our boss! And Segala couldnt agree more!






Anyways (long digression), back to my review. One of my main tasks involves planning and organizing my boss's tour to all the major Business Schools to promote our company's MBA Internship Program. After finishing the Indian tour (she went to the Indian School of Mgmt in Ahmedabad and Bangalore) and now planning the US schools...the timing was opportune for me to see my value in terms of being there physically during the tours itself. Plus after a string of very good personal meets with Sandra and Segala...i hope to be the third recipient of the "good mood" period!

And so during the meeting;

"So Boss, what are the possibilities of me participating in this tours myself? I believe it ll be great for me to be on the field and seeing how the whole program works on the external marketing side."

And her reply..."Sure (shrugging her head), why not!? I already had you in mind to do it too."

Oh gosh...man everything after that during the meeting was a blur as i was already thinking of what to say to Segala!! Hearing that just brought this internship opportunity a few notches up from GOOD to EXCELLENT!!!


So looking at the UK and Europe Business Schools locations...I am gonna say HELLO to UK (several locations, London and Manchester included...hello Old Trafford!), CIAO to Milan, BONJOUR to Paris and OLA to Barcelona!!

Although not being sure about it till i see the tickets myself...knowing that the green light has been given just sums up an amazing feel to last weekend!


Nevertheless...i am soooo looking forward to my "Business Trips"! Well the Devil wears Prada has turned into an Angel wears Versace!






No comments: