Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Funny la Manila (part iii)

This isnt a "posh" complaint...but I just hate hotel food! I guess my gastronomy levels never bordered near "fine dining", fancying more the local and road side fares..."drain dining" for those whose more affluent.

So one evening we (me and Pam) decided to walk out of the hotel and search for any local grubs in any restaurant. The concierge pointed us towards one Jupiter Street, explaining the many diverse restaurants available within walking distance. Delighted, we walked to the said location. Only after nearing those familiar colorful and bright neon lights, did I realise this was indeed somewhere familiar! It was one of the so called red light streets...semi naked Pinay babes frolicking around and dancing while tourists like me stroll in on the pretext of wanting some drinks. ;)

So this was apparently the idea of the dude at the concierge for a good restaurant joint! And it wasnt even me asking...it was Pam! Nice...

Anyways dodgy restaurants wasnt part of our agenda (although I noted how close this street was to our hotel!), so we walked randomly around...middle eastern grubs, nah...Indian, we've got heaps back home, Italian...didnt feel like it, western...no freakin way! You know those times when good ol' McD's or KFC would suffice, no matter how you dont like it! It was THAT moment!

Anyways...we decided to go Chinese (really ran out of ideas). Unfortunately the only thing good there was the Chinese tea and fried dumpling, although the aroma of an oily stench only Chinese restaurants could provide did appeal to possibly thinking it might be a good choice. How wrong were we! And to make matters worst...I found HAIR in my food!! Not that I complain much, but Pam did prompt me to complain and we did, managing to tick that dish of the bill. Not bad...they do listen to customers!

We left, but the urge for Mickey D's was all of a sudden increasing! It was obvious I wasnt full yet...so I bought back an extra choc fudge sundae, large fries and apple pie (gym my foot!). All for a total amount of RM9 upon converting!

While walking back we stumbled upon this really young girl begging on the main road...literally on the MAIN ROAD, when cars stop at the traffic light, she'll just go randomly to any car and knocking and pleading and begging for any spare change. Now this scene is quite common across Manila, but it was that very moment which really made us realised how despite Manila is such a booming metropolitan, there are still the unlucky and impoverished few amongst them. Pam quickly gave the kid 100pesos (about RM10) while I gave her my extra fudge sundae. But not before chasing her around the cars as she wasnt even the height of the cars bonnet! It was freaking dangerous for the small kid to even be there!

Feeling a mix of sorrow for the kid and guilty for overindulging...we left for the hotel. Then 2 more kids appeared out of nowhere. Now its getting a wee bit suspicious...the kid even asking for my french fries. I guess if it wasnt for my guilt...I would ve just waved the kids off. Alas...I had to part my fries AND apple pie for the kids...the bitchy part of me complaining not just a crappy dinner...but there goes any chance to salvage it even! Grumbling as I walked towards the hotel...Pam still shocked over the incident (am sure its not bout me giving my food away, but more on the impoverished conditions still existing)...we then heard a super loud and squealy "THANK YOUUUUU" as the kids waved at us.

Our hearts melted...

3 comments:

jill said...

you accounts of manila has made me so homesick (and very jealous :o)). i miss home--may it be the glamour, the poverty--everything that makes it manila. and it's such an odd feeling to know that you're there in manila, and that my family is somewhere there, too. i can't explain it, but the thought that 2 groups of people--one who knows me from bonn, and another who knows me from childhood--are both in manila, and not intersecting...it gives me a bittersweet feeling. anyway, i miss you loads. and i hope we can continue our emails or at least find a way to keep in touch. i called shook the other day...perhaps it's time for me to call you next? ;o)

Liv said...

So when are you visiting Manila again? Weren't you supposed to come back in July/August for some follow up? (both for work and sth else, if you were able to establish something at all). hahaha!!!

Anonymous said...

*tears* And this especially after I was finally done with "The Kite Runner".. Sometimes I'd rather turn an ignorant mind to such tormenting picture~