Monday, November 12, 2007

Melbourne Posts (Part 2 - Sniffle me this...!)

This whole fever and cough is killing me...STILL! I have now lost my voice thanks to phlegm spitting coughs and I now sound like Jabba the Hut trying to speak Aussie! :( And to think I am gonna have heaps of teleconferences this week!

Despite that all, heading to work on a Monday in a foreign land was devoid of any blues, what with the perfect sunny weather and cool spring breeze to perk you up! Despite the coughings and runny nose, I was in office all sunshiny and ready to face the world of HR Processes via "Project Kerang"!

How abruptly it ended! (cue: dramatic music)

No sooner have I settled in, I was going to be introduced to the Australian Biatch of the Year!

I was minding my own business and my runny nose decided to do the sprint instead, so naturally my brain triggered my nose to sniffle; breathe your mucus in so it doesnt flow out. Out of nowhere a balding lady with spiked hair peered over my partition which nearly looked like a muppet out of your Childrens Television Workshop. "Excuse me! Could you stop doing that?! That sniffling! It just sounds awful!"

I was momentarily stunned! I couldnt think of anything to say but mustered a muted "Oh, sorry!" And down she went from the partition akin to Oscar the Grouch into his bin!

I was tu lan to the max!! And next to me, a lady was sick too. But I guess her BLOWING HER NOSE away seems to be a norm, not the annoying sniffling sound! Officially, my Monday was fucked! I left the office to work from my hotel afterwards...

2 comments:

Ee Laine said...

Wow, from Dubai to Melbourne?!?!
Eh. orang kat sini tak suka orang lain berbatuk-batuk punya. Kalau sakit sikit pun, mereka rather engkau tak datang kerja. Tak sopan berkongsi bakteria.

Anonymous said...

well, i guess sometimes sniffling does have a thin line to....the sound of snorting in your mucus, which is commonly accepted as gross. Maybe the spiky old lady was thinking of that.
- bin